1. What makes Betty’s Garden different from other care options?
- As a leader in residential living for those with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia-related illnesses, Betty’s Garden offers several unique features that make us different from assisted living and skilled nursing facilities:
- We are truly the residential alternative to institutional care for those with dementia. Our specially designed units are inside a specialized section of our industry-leading Assisted Living facility.
At Betty’s Garden we provide all services at a fixed, affordable rate. Our services are equally provided to all tenants, with no financial increases based on levels of care.
- Our staff is specially trained to provide personal care assistance with the activities of daily living. In addition to structured group activities, we encourage tenant participation in meal preparation, laundry, housekeeping, and putting away the groceries, all of which are effective dementia care activities.
- Betty’s Garden Coming Home program stresses a daily schedule of activities that becomes a familiar and comforting routine for those with dementia, unlike the complex and confusing monthly program calendars found in most large facilities.
- Our medication management is specifically designed for our environment, with particular attention paid to safety. Our Wellness Director and pharmacy coordinate with the physician to ensure the proper medications are prescribed and administered.
- A fundamental belief of Betty’s Garden is to gain tenant independence from inappropriate medications. Because of our staffing levels and the intimacy of our homes, we have an increased ability to observe each individual tenant. Our goal is to manage tenant behavior without the reliance on psychotropic drug therapies. Our message is clear – we are not able to cure Alzheimer’s disease; however with proper medication management we do frequently see improvements in the quality of life of our tenants.
- Our menu has been designed by a licensed dietitian, prepared daily with fresh products. The meals are prepared in our full service kitchen three times a day.
2. Do the homes have private bedrooms?
Yes, each of our Betty’s Garden apartments are designed and built with private, individual bedrooms. We encourage each of our tenants (and their families) to furnish his or her own room with familiar articles or furnishings from home. However, if preferred, we will furnish each of these bedrooms with a bed and linens, wardrobe, night stand and lamp, dresser, and side chair.
3. Mom’s a little confused but she does not have Alzheimer’s. Will you still take her?
While our environment has been carefully designed to care for the dementia needs of our tenants, we will carefully consider the admission of a non-dementia tenant who otherwise needs assistance with any of the activities of daily living (eating, bathing, toileting, transferring, and dressing). We recognize and support the needs of anyone who requires such assistance, and will work very closely with the family members to ensure there is a clear understanding of our environment and its suitability for their loved one.
4. Is the home secure? Can she wander away?
Each of our newly designed memory care units are equipped with a non-threatening but state of the art, security system. Each yard is protected by a secured fence. Every door of each unit is protected by an audible alarm that alerts staff when there is an unaccompanied tenant who attempts to wander outside the home.
5. Do you have doctors and nurses?
Tenants are required to have a primary physician of their choice. Betty’s Garden does not contract with nor have any financial relationship with any physician or physician group. We allow the primary physician access to our facility in order to minimize tenant inconvenience with travel.
Our facilities are staffed by a Licensed Practical Nurse Manager or Registered Nurse Manager, specially trained in dementia care.
6. How can I be involved with mom’s care? How can I be involved with her life?
This is your Mom’s and your new home. You can and should be involved in every way in which you feel comfortable. Just ask yourself this question: “How can I best care for and support my loved one? What is best for her and our relationship?” Be assured that we will support you every step of the way.
7. Does Betty’s Garden have specific visiting hours?
This is our tenant’s home and will be your home, too, so visitors are welcome at any time. All we ask is that visitors respect the privacy and needs of the other tenants.