What makes Betty’s Garden at Courtyard Estates different from other care options?
As a leader in residential living for those with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia-related illnesses, Betty’s Garden offers several unique features that make us different from assisted living and skilled nursing facilities:
- We are truly the residential alternative to institutional care for those with dementia. Our specially designed units are inside a specialized section of our industry-leading Assisted Living facility.
- At Betty’s Garden we provide all services at a fixed, affordable rate. Our services are equally provided to all tenants, with no financial increases based on levels of care.
- Our staff is specially trained to provide personal care assistance with the activities of daily living. In addition to structured group activities, we encourage resident participation in meal preparation, laundry, housekeeping, and putting away the groceries, all of which are effective dementia care activities.
- Betty’s Garden Coming Home program stresses a daily schedule of activities that becomes a familiar and comforting routine for those with dementia, unlike the complex and confusing monthly program calendars found in most large facilities.
- Our medication management is specifically designed for our environment, with particular attention paid to safety. Our Wellness Director and pharmacy coordinate with the physician to ensure the proper medications are prescribed and administered.
- A fundamental belief of Betty’s Garden is to gain resident independence from inappropriate medications. Because of our staffing levels and the intimacy of our homes, we have an increased ability to observe each individual resident. Our goal is to manage resident behavior without the reliance on psychotropic drug therapies. Our message is clear – we are not able to cure Alzheimer’s disease; however with proper medication management we do frequently see improvements in the quality of life of our tenants.
- Our menu has been designed by a licensed dietitian, prepared daily with fresh products. The meals are prepared in our full service kitchen three times a day.
Do the homes have private bedrooms?
Yes, each of our Betty’s Garden apartments are designed and built with private, individual bedrooms. We encourage each of our tenants (and their families) to furnish his or her own room with familiar articles or furnishings from home. However, if preferred, we will furnish each of these bedrooms with a bed and linens, wardrobe, nightstand and lamp, dresser, and side chair.
Does Betty’s Garden have specific visiting hours?
This is our tenant’s home and will be your home, too, so visitors are welcome at any time. All we ask is that visitors respect the privacy and needs of the other tenants.
Are there activities during the day?
Yes. Each Betty’s Garden is staffed with a full-time activity coordinator who leads our Coming Home program of daily activities.
Are meals served at scheduled and specific times?
Do the tenants have to eat at that time?
All meals, snacks, and beverages are served family style. While breakfast, lunch and dinner are served at general times, we try to respect and support the lifestyles our tenants have practiced all their lives. Late risers and early risers may not necessarily eat breakfast together. Lunch and dinner are usually served during a general time frame.
Nutrition is a critical component in our therapeutic program. In addition to the need to provide a well-balanced and nutritious meal, we strongly encourage the socialization that occurs at mealtimes. We will continue to encourage all tenants to eat their meals with the other tenants and we will make every effort to accommodate special dietary needs when prescribed by the resident’s attending physician.
Can my mother walk around at night if she can’t sleep?
Yes. Our staff is trained to support the resident who may encounter a restless evening of sleep. However, our staff is also trained to understand why this restlessness may occur. If there is evidence that this restlessness is a patterned behavior, in conjunction with the family and the attending physician, we will develop a care plan that will meet the needs of the tenant.
How do you handle wandering?
Our specialized units are designed and constructed to encourage wandering. Our homes are conducive to the tenant who wanders. In addition, our homes are built with a paved walking path that allows for monitored walks outdoors, but within the security of our alarmed, fenced yard..
Mom’s a little confused but she does not have Alzheimer’s.
Will you still take her?
While our environment has been carefully designed to care for the dementia needs of our tenants, we will carefully consider the admission of a non-dementia resident who otherwise needs assistance with any of the activities of daily living (eating, bathing, toileting, transferring, and dressing). We recognize and support the needs of anyone who requires such assistance, and will work very closely with the family members to ensure there is a clear understanding of our environment and its suitability for their loved one.
Should I put a TV in Dad’s room?
Some of our tenants choose to have a TV or radio in their room. However, we encourage socialization and activity. As a result, we encourage only limited use of TV or radio as a means of occupying the tenants.
Mom loves to be outdoors.
Can she go outside?
Yes. Each Betty’s Garden is built with secured fences around the yard. In addition, our yard is equipped with paved walkway that allows for supervised walks for all of our tenants. While outstide, the tenants can enjoy the beautiful flowers and comfortable surroundings.
Do you add fees, as Mom needs more care?
No. At Betty’s Garden we provide all services at a fixed, affordable rate. Our services are equally provided to all tenants, with no financial increases based on levels of care.
Do you have doctors and nurses?
Tenants are required to have a primary physician of their choice. Betty’s Garden does not contract with nor have any financial relationship with any physician or physician group. We allow the primary physician access to our facility in order to minimize resident inconvenience with travel.
Our facilities are staffed by a Licensed Practical Nurse Manager or Registered Nurse Manager, specially trained in dementia care.
How can I be involved with Mom’s care?
How can I be involved with her life?
This is your Mom’s and your new home. You can and should be involved in every way in which you feel comfortable. Just ask yourself this question: “How can I best care for and support my loved one? What is best for her and our relationship?” Be assured that we will support you every step of the way.
Is the home secure? Can she wander away?
Each of our newly designed memory care units are equipped with a non-threatening but state of the art, security system. Each yard is protected by a secured, alarmed fence. Every door and window of each home is protected by an audible alarm that alerts staff when there is an unaccompanied resident who attempts to wander outside the home.
Do you add fees, as Mom needs more care?
At Betty’s Garden we provide all services at a fixed, affordable rate. Our services are equally provided to all tenants. Additional care level charges may be incurred based on regular assessments and will be discussed with the family at the time of the assessment.